Illustrations by Beat Mandersloot - Flying Dutchman

Beat Mandersloot

The Netherlands

Mediums: Adobe Illustrators/Photoshop

Style: Modern

Favorite Quote: "There is always room for improvement"

Favorite Book: The Shadow of the wind

Favorite Movie: Pulp Fiction

 

Beat Mandersloot illustration

 

My Name is Beat Mandersloot, I'm 22 years old. I'm from a small town called Alkmaar.

Alkmaar is famous for it's cheese, and I really like cheese.

I started drawing when I was 19 years old, and I got noticed by some people on Instagram. 3 years later and I have over 20.000 followers on Instagram!

Since then I've been designing from a couple of famous clubs/brands in Amsterdam.


Please tell us about your first experience creating.

I was watching a cartoon, and I really liked that show. So I thought to myself why not try to recreate that character, so I did!

I really enjoyed it, so I started practicing some more, and trying to create my own style, next thing I know I got people asking me for help even though I'm not that good, haha!

 

What music do you like to have playing while creating?

It varies a lot these days. Mostly Electronic music, I guess. When I'm really "in the zone" I rarely switch songs, so I'll listen to the same song for about 3 hours..

 

beat mandersloot  

 

Where do you work?

I'm studying Web Design, so I'm an intern for a company in Amsterdam, and I design interactive banners and such.

 

What are you trying to convey to viewers?

I really don’t know. I’ve come across some people who thought I meant something with the work I made, but I never looked at it that way. To me, art is very personal. And I think it’s great that people can look at the same piece of art, but still get a totally different message from it.

 

Tell us about your creative process.

I start with an idea, then I’ll lay down a really rough sketch of what my idea is, and then I’ll load up Illustrator and start.

 

What things inspire you to create?

Emotions, events that are happening around me, women, street art, art in general.
I’m always looking for the next good idea, and it could happen anywhere.

 

beat mandersloot design

 

Have you sold any of your illustrations?

Yes, I’ve sold some t-shirt designs, and some art designs to people who found me on Instagram.
I’m planning to start framing some stuff and giving them away for some sort of contest, and maybe sell one or two frames on the side.

 

How do you promote your illustrations online?

Social media is the key! If it wasn’t from Instagram, I would not be in this position now.

 

Tell us about influences

Andy Warhol, Vincent Van Der Waal.

 

Please recommend an artist you admire.

Too many to mention all of them, but I think Kwame Kwanzaa is a great artist.
He has a kind of style that is really clean, and nice to look at it. You have to see it for yourself, so look him up!

 

Tell us something interesting in your life.

When I went to my job interview for my web design internship at a company.
I’m a really nervous guy when it comes to presentation and such, so I overly prepare everything.
I get at my job interview, and I’m sitting across from the guy who was going to interview me. Please remember that I’m studying Web Design which is different from Graphic Design.

So the man starts talking to me, saying that ‘they did some research about me’.. And I thought I was screwed, because my art is disturbing to some people, but he then continued his sentences and told me he though my work was great, and though I had talent.

I build a whole website for that job interview which took me about a 2 weeks to make, but never got the chance to show it, because I was hired mainly because of my Social Media profile.

 

Do you have an embarrassing moment in your life?

I made a design for a club in Amsterdam for a special party. I was invited to come and drink a beer when that party arrived. So I came out, and went to the club. There was a woman standing outside with a guest list, and letting people in. I stood in line and when it was my turn, I told her I was on the guest list and that they were expecting me. I got the filthiest look I’ve ever been given, and she then started “searching” for my name. Of course she couldn’t find it. So I’m standing there, when this woman refuses to let me in. Meanwhile a lot of people joined the line behind me, and everybody could hear her dismiss me. So I then had the pull the douche-card and told her that I designed for the club that she now refuses me to enter. Long story short, eventually I got in, but I felt awful.

 

If you could live your life over again, would there be anything you would do differently?

I would focus less on the future, and live more in the moment.

 

Any future plans?

Expand of course. I want have my own exhibition in Amsterdam.

 

Do you have any good advice for other creative people?

Try to give as much as you receive. Stay connected with the community. Create your own style.

 

Beat Mandersloot The Netherlands

Instagram | Facebook

 

Find details on how you can be featured here at this link: Creative Spotlight.

Also, take a look at some of our other featured artists and illustrators:

Shana Stern
Elspeth Rose
Cynthia Warden

Related

illustrations 1697533993041356594

Post a Comment Default Comments

emo-but-icon


Turn Your Creativity Into A Career
Get Paid for Your Writing
Create Free Websites!
item